Hemorrhoids. What You Can Do At Home.
Many adults in Los Angeles and other cities across the U.S. have symptomatic hemorrhoids. As the symptoms of inflamed hemorrhoids can be quite bothersome, many home remedies have been developed. These remedies may bring much needed relief.
You may ask, “Relief from what?”, and “Why do the hemorrhoids cause problems?” Your proctologist, also known as a colon and rectal surgeon will be able to answer all of your questions about hemorrhoids.
What Are Hemorrhoids And What Are The Symptoms?
All of us are born with hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are bundles of connective tissues, arteries, veins and nerves. They are located in three areas of the anal canal and serve as cushions against the pressure exerted by a bowel movement as it passes through the anal canal. When, for unknown reasons, the hemorrhoidal groups enlarge, they stretch the lining over them. It is this stretched lining that can cause problems.
When the lining overlying the hemorrhoids stretches, you may experience one or more of the following:
- Prolapse (protrusion)
What Can You Do At Home To Help?
First and foremost, you must be sure that your symptoms are truly due to your hemorrhoids, and not due to something else. Your proctologist will be able to help you in this regard. Once you know that your symptoms are hemorrhoidal, you can try the following:
- Sitz baths two or three times per day. The baths may help you lessen the discomfort.
- Apply ice for short periods of time. This will help shrink the tissue and relieve the swelling.
- Apply petroleum jelly as a lubricant. Apply short term hydrocortisone ointment. Use suppositories.
- Gently clean the anal area with water or baby wipes. Do not use soap to clean your anus. Soap may aggravate your symptoms.
- Take aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen, to diminish the pain.
Los Angeles Colon and Rectal Surgical Associates. Your Final Home Remedy…The Telephone.
When home treatment is unsuccessful, a phone call to one of the surgeons of Los Angeles Colon and Rectal Surgical Associates may begin your path to successful therapy. (310)273-2310.
Your consultation is confidential and will allow you to understand your problem and begin treatment. The surgeons are board certified and are able to treat all diseases of the colon, rectum and anus. A call today may lead to help tomorrow (or today).